Monday, June 16, 2008

The Saga Continues...

Oh my where should I start...having spent the last 5 days with my leg and ankle trussed and immobolized and on pain meds lets just say my sense of humor has taken a serious hit! Even getting up and sitting on a small rolling desk chair to manipulate myself in and out of the ladies room has been pushing my limit for amusement. Although my hubby gave me a card that read on the envelope to the "Desk Chair Racer"....and inside it had been "doctored" just enough to make me laugh out loud, ok so that helped and he brought me a single long stemmed red rose too. Nice man considering my hateful disposition the last few days somtimes I think he should try for sainthood!

So today was the big "orthopede visit"...da da da da...... my sis came out to help me dress, dont laugh its hard to stand on one leg and pull up ones trousers....its seriously complicated not to mention very damaging to ones modesty..... anyway she helped me get dressed and then I scooted on my backside (another shot to the dignity) to the steps leading into the garage where I crept along ever so wobbly on a pair of crutches to the car.

After arrival at the orthoclinic the staff informed my sis that their computer was down and they couldnt access the xrays the hospital had emailed over and could she go to the hospital and pick them up....sigh...well that was a bit complicated and time consuming but she managed to take care of it quite well. Meanwhile I sat in a wheelchair in the office with a woman who had broken both legs in a fall, a man who dislocated his shoulder and needed surgery from a fall and a young man who broke his foot in a fall on the beach....geez tis the season for falling I guess.... on the good side I got to watch Tiger Woods on tv win the sudden death golf match! He has a knee injury too, he and I have so much in common, lol well we doo...I mean we are both athletic, ok maybe not, ummm we are both incredibly smart, well umm ok maybe not that, err um ok ok we are both cute there ya go thats it!!! LOL

So once I got back into the examination area I saw two PA's and the DO... all extremely nice and caring all manipulated all asked tons of questions and all came to the conclusion that the ankle injury while way totally nasty isnt broken, just a very high sprain with ligament and tendon pulls up into the leg, (and only a small percentage of these require surgery to repair) which right now they are attempting to structurally support with a "walking boot"... it pumps up like the old Air Jordan tennis shoes. I am allowed to try a wee bit of weight on it on crutches or the walker but must go slow and be careful because... Doc says if any of the walking makes my knee hurt the tiniest bit Im off of it totally until after surgery....the boot is extremely heavy and the sole is very thick which makes it thicker than any of my shoe soles on the other foot very ackward to move in....

The knee news...well lets just say its not so good, they think I tore my MCL and damaged my meniscis and I have a ton of arthritis behind the knee cap to add insult to injury. They are scheduling me for a MRI of the knee and the ankle just to be sure, but they feel strongly that I will need surgery on my knee to allow it to heal properly...sigh...surgery???? surgery!!! Oh man I so didnt bargain for that!!!

Physically I will do what it takes to rehab this leg and get back on my feet but it will take a lot more mental prep to get ready for surgery....sigh...The big guy will have to hold me up on this one.....I get weepy just thinking about it...

I will say one thing I have a total new appreciation for anyone with a disability temporary or permanent that impedes their mobility. Trying to get in and out of the bathroom, up and down steps in and out of doors on crutches, in a wheelchair or on the walker have all been difficult.... Cant imagine having to deal with that every day of my life. My hats off to anyone that does. You are strong so strong and now I will look at disabled no longer as disabled but different- abled......stronger in so many ways!!!

Well hopefully after a few more days of some gentle stepping with the boot and the walker I might get to come hang out in the shop a bit! I miss all my friends and I miss the shop! Say a prayer for my family who have just been so supportive in helping me get around the last few days, this thing isnt over until the surgery and recovery are complete!

Thanks to all who have called! Im still kickin...just not with the left leg.......

2 comments:

Tina said...

Oh Debbie, you have been in my prayers, my dear.
If I can help in any way, please don't hesitate to call me.

T

Deb said...

Thanks Tina your the best ! Come see me!